1. Help Center
  2. Your first months in Germany

Which insurances do I have/need in Germany?

As a nurse in Germany, you are subject to social security contributions, which means that you are automatically a member of various insurance schemes that provide you with financial protection in the event of illness or unemployment. Accordingly, a fixed percentage of your salary is deducted directly from your salary as social security contributions and paid into these insurances. Social security contributions include all types of compulsory insurance, i.e. pension, health, long-term care and unemployment insurance. Insurances such as health or long-term care insurance are solidarity-based, which means that the contributions paid for them are not paid directly to recipients, but are paid out to contributing members as needed. Pension insurance is a contributory cash benefit, which means that if you become insured, the amount of benefits you receive is based on the amount of contributions you have paid and is paid directly to you. Unemployment insurance is also paid directly to you if you become unemployed. However, the amount of the benefit is calculated on the basis of your salary for the past 12 months. Pension insurance: You pay into the pension insurance to receive a pension, i.e. a state living payment, after you retire. The amount of the pension is determined by the amount of income during employment and the number of years of contributions in Germany. In principle, pensions from the statutory pension insurance are also paid abroad. In certain individual cases, however, there may be restrictions, so in this case you should inform yourself in advance at the German Pension Insurance. Health insurance / long-term care insurance: As an employee, you are always covered by health insurance - either as a member of the statutory health insurance or a private health insurance. When you get sick, your health insurance will cover the costs of medical treatment. By taking out health insurance, you are automatically also insured for long-term care. Long-term care insurance comes into effect if, for example, you can no longer care for yourself due to a serious illness, so you need help from a nurse. Unemployment insurance: Unemployment insurance pays you a regular income for a certain period of time if you lose your job. In principle, you must have been employed and insured for one year within the last two years and be looking for a new job. In addition, you have the option of voluntarily taking out additional insurance as required, e.g. supplementary dental insurance, household insurance, liability insurance and many more.